Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Homemade Churros





Homemade Churros

So I was reading this really fun book ( The Lost Recipe for Happiness by. Barbra O'Neal) and since it was about a chef, each chapter had a recipe at the beginning....and there was a Churro recipe.I was a little hesitant ...reading the recipe and thinking.."Really can it be THAT easy?" Well Sheesh my kids BEG for Churro's every time we go to the Costco..so I though lets give er' a whirl...and ya know what ...PRETTY-DANG-EASY! The dough reminds me of my mothers Cream Puff Recipe...)and yes I will promise that soon).
The thing that cracks me up in the book is at the bottom of this recipe it says in parenthesis "Makes Men and Boys your slaves for life"...I ran some hot churro's over to my neighbors..and five minutes later ...my male neighbor had sent his little 7 year old darling girl over for the recipe...Funny Stuff.

1 cup flour
3 eggs
1 cup water
½ cup butter
¼ tsp salt
Lard or Shortening for frying ( I use 2 cubs plain Crisco)

Sugar and Cinnamon for Sprinkling over churros

Directions:
It happens FAST so have your flour measured and eggs slightly beaten.(in separate containers)

In saucepan, heat water , butter and salt to boil then stir in flour. Stir vigorously over low heat until mix forms a ball, about a minute, then remove from heat and beat the eggs into the dough until everything is smooth (I used my Boshe for this).
Heat Lard or shortening (about 2 inches) in a heavy frying pan until a bit of dough sizzles.

Spoon dough into a Cake Decorating Bag or Tube with fat star tip…and 5 or 6 would be perfect ( I only had a 4). Squeeze out strips of dough about 4-5 inches long and fry three to four at a time 2 minutes or so on each side. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle generously with Cinnamon and Sugar.

* Awesome with a Mango Smoothie after spicy Mexican Food!

No comments:

Post a Comment